Monday, September 14, 2015

Websites for Sports Writers

Here is a list of the top five websites for sports reporting in my opinion, these are not based off of any sort of hard evidence but rather my preference of the writing.

ESPN

Obviously this leads off our post as being the top site for sports stories, I mean it even says it in their name...Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.  They have it all from your daily fantasy sports advice all the way to which "stay at home dad" decided to almost drop his 7 year old daughter for a baseball.  Yes a baseball, as in the ones you can usually find at Walmart for say, I don't know, 99 cents?  To add insult to injury you are probably asking yourself, did he have a drink in his hand?  Of course he did, what kind of ludicrous questions are we even asking here?  I digress as my point being ESPN covers it all with a great writing style and every story in the sports world.

Audience: Any sports fan.

Bar Stool Sports

For anyone who has ever been on this website is probably asking what I was thinking ranking this second after ESPN and truth be told it probably should not be once you read forward but, I love Bar Stool.  I think their articles are just absolutely hysterical, and they don't only just do sports, no they do everyday news stories too, such as when Sarah Palin tells immigrants coming to the US to "speak American" the writer had an absolute field day writing this article.  I think why I like this reporting so much is because they use non cliche styles and I think it suits better with someone from my generation rather than my parents.  However these articles can sometimes be no longer than seven words sometimes, so I'll bump a notch off from that aspect, but when you write up to date articles by the hour in a hilarious writing style, that is why they get the number two spot.

Audience: College Students

NBC Sports

NBC Sports ranks among the top five for me because of everything they have to offer.  The fact that if I'm working in the library on Sunday night and I totally forget that the NY Giants are playing against the Eagles on Sunday night, I can hit up this website and click live stream, no bullshit, no gimmicks just literally hit the play button.  It makes it so efficient especially when everything today needs a username and password to it so it's nice to just go to a website and click play.  I do like the type of writing the use on their articles, however, it can be bland sometimes with no pop or exciting headlines similar to ESPN but it gets down to the bottom line.

Audience: Professionals

Bleacher Report

Kind of similar to a BarStool site, but more profession.  Bleacher Report has almost the same headlines with everything ridiculous down to the real sports stories however they write a little bit more than the BarStool team does.  I also like what they do with this thing called the "Team Stream". The Team Stream allows to follow any news at all about whatever team you want to follow which is a pretty cool thing, and I mean yeah ESPN does this too to a certain extent but Bleacher Report digs down so deep to get all the information about everything and everyone on the team.

Audience: College Students

Yahoo Sports

Finally coming down to the last of it, Yahoo Sports has great stories but is just way too bland or boring for me.  Maybe it's because they have so much to cover besides sports which I guess kind of puts them at a disadvantage but if I'm looking for just a quick look at what happened last night without any laughs but just straight facts, Yahoo Sports is my place to go.

Audience: My Parents



No comments:

Post a Comment